Easy BIOS updating guide for HP/Compaq PC
Here you can find steps for update bios for HP and Compaq series desktops (Including bios driver finding, downloading and installing). BIOS full form is : Basic Input Output System.
Important Note :
BIOS update, also well known as “Flash the BIOS” replaces the bios old firmware. When completed BIOS update successfully, you can fix or enhance aspects of a computers performance of provide support for newly installed hardware. But if an incorrect update is installed or if the BIOS update process is interrupted, motherboard can be permanently damaged, leaving the computer unable to boot. We are strongly recommended to update your BIOS only if one or more conditions apply.
Why should you update the BIOS?
- Bios update can fixes a problems with your system.
- Bios update enhances computer’s performance in a desired way.
- If you want to change your operating systems, processors or other features and your current BIOS version can not support the new configuration.
- An HP support agent or an HP support document, recommends that you download and install a correct specific updated BIOS.
Preparation of updating the BIOS version
Before you start Bios update process ,the following tools and information are needed to perform the steps in this document:
- PC Model number (located on the nameplate and/or on a sticker attached to the computer)
- Good Internet connection
- If your computer does not have an Internet connection, use another computer with an Internet connection to download the update and save it to removable media (for example, a CD or thumb drive).
- A printout of this document
Find your current old BIOS version number
To easily find current BIOS version number please read below steps carefully :
- For Windows 8 : from the Start Screen, type “msinfo32”
- For Windows 7 & Windows Vista : Click Start button and type “msinfo32 in search box and than select msinfo32.exe from results list.
- For Windows XP : Click Start button, Select Run and enter “msinfo32.exe” in open field, then click OK.
Now find the System Information window under the System Summary Category and look for the BIOS version and date entry as per shown below image.
Please write down the BIOS version carefully and continue to next
Step 2 :
Find BIOS Update
To download right BIOS file for your computer, find the specific product number on your PC and do the given steps.
- First go to HP software and driver downloads webpage by click HERE.
- If the software and Driver Downloads page opens, asking for your operating system, then go to step 3.
If HP customer Care page opens, and asking for your product number, please follow below steps.
- Enter Product Number
- Enter your model product number and then click on Next. If necessary, select product from the list.
- Now select Software & Driver Downloads.
- Now select your operating systems like Windows 7 64bit (you using on your computer) and then click on next.
NOTE : In the selection list, if you cant find your operating system listed, BIOS updates for your computer are not available for download from this HP officially website at this time.
If a BIOS category is listed there, click the plus sign (+) to expand the category.
If a BIOS Category is not listed on website, the original BIOS version already on the PC might be the latest version.
If you find several BIOS updates available for different motherboard names, you need to find out which motherboard is installed in your PC. TO do this please turned off the computer, remove side panel and carefully read the printed name of your motherboard (Name of motherboard should be match or be similar to the name of the download link.
If you find BIOS version listed is the same or older than the current BIOS on the PC, you may exit from this procedure at this time. Your PC does not require a BIOS update at this time.
Installing a wrong BIOS file, it is not compatible for your computer could case the computer to stop working.
Step 3 :
Download and Install the BIOS
This is final step for this BIOS update procedure. To download and install the BIOS update for your computer, read and follow instructions on this download page carefully and complete the following steps.
- Please close any opened programs and temporarily disable your PC’s anti virus program before installing the BIOS update. You can re-enable anti virus protection after successfully BIOS update process and it is recommended.
- Click the download link next to the BIOS update file and choose RUN or SAVE depending on you, how would like to install the update file.
- If you want to install BIOS update, please double click on downloaded file and follow on screen instruction. Please restart your PC after successfully BIOS update installation.
Now you can find the latest version of BIOS installed in your computer.